The property that George and Maude Phypers purchased in 1908 could trace its history to 1798. Their barn at Greenwood Farm was believed to be the oldest structure in Richmond Heights, having been built in the 1880s. The old barn is one reason the Greenwood Farm deserved to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016.
Behind the barn is the house built in 1910 for the farm's groundskeeper, eventually becoming the home of their son Thurlow Phypers and his wife Margaret.
The Phypers built their brick home at the front of the property in 1917 after the original nineteenth-century farmhouse burned to the ground. Fortunately, the family of eight escaped harm. Currently being restored to meet current building codes, eventually the home will be available for events and tours.
Thanks to the Phypers family, who cared for this precious land, we may enjoy its natural beauty for generations to come.
Walk the woodland trails and listen to the sounds of Euclid Creek, as it makes its way to Lake Erie. One of the trails offers a cascading waterfall and a spot to picnic.
OHIO EPA GRANT
Farm association board members became concerned about storm water runoff, and its negative affect on the Euclid Creek water quality. Thanks to their efforts, the farm was awarded a generous grant from the Ohio EPA in 2013 for a porous pavement and bioretention storm water system.
Signs of the completed project are the permeable pavers on the entrance drive and various parking areas, as well as the bioretention areas at the north edge of the property and south of the main circle drive.